The Black Périgord is a land of welcome, change of scenery and discovery. It offers to the visitors a wide range of sites to visit or activities to do. The area has the highest concentration in the world of prehistoric and natural caves, castles and ancient country houses.
For the gourmets, it is the paradise of the truffles, ceps and duck confit.
The Royal Vézère is within easy walking distance to do the following sightseeing :
In Le Bugue, there is the village of Le Bournat. It is a reconstructed village with traditional 1900 jobs where it is possible to meet the craftsmen. According to their daily programs, workshops are available.
The Proumeyssac cave is at 3 km from Le Bugue. A tunnel leads you easily into a immense underground vault whose walls are decorated with a multitude of cristallisations of unparalleled density and beauty.
The Bara-Bahau cave is in Le Bugue. In this cave the bears and the prehistoric man have left traces of their presence. In the chamber of engravings the first artists managed to wriggle their way along on their back and knees, then in an upright position to draw three gigantic frescoes of animals they were familiar with: aurochs, bisons, horses etc...
The Parc du Château de Campagne is at 3,50 km from le Bugue. The parc is designed in the style of English-inspired 19th century gardens with a green corridor, natural water feature, winding path and vegetal path. The centuries-old sequoias and oaks make it the perfect setting for a bucolic stroll where it is possible to continue to hike for free in the Campagne woodlands. The castle that is listed as a Historical Buildings is no longer open to the visit.
The aquarium in Le Bugue is the largest private freshwater aquarium in Europe. Discover fishes from our local rivers like carps and sturgeons. Discover as well the fascinating worl of reptiles to find out about them and lear how to protect them.
Activities in the surroundings:
Hiking and horse riding, biking, golf, canoe-kayak, karting, quad, hot-air balloon, boat trips, rock climbing, caving, rope course in the trees ...
Places to visit:
- Caves and prehistoric sites in the Valley Vézère (Lascaux, Bara Bahau, Proumeyssac, Eyzies, Maxange, Rouffignac ...)
- Castles (Beynac et Cazenac, Castelnaud la Chapelle, Commarque, Les Milandes, Puymartin, Hautefort, Lanquais, ...)
- Fortified towns (Sarlat, Limeuil, Belvès, Domme, Monpazier, Beaumont du Périgord, Villefranche du Périgord ...)
- Abbeys (Cadouin, St Avit-Sénieur, St Amand de Coly, Brantôme...)
- Roman churches
- National museum of Prehistory in Les Eyzies, Gallo-roman museum in Périgueux
- Troglodyte sites (Roque Saint Christophe, La Madeleine, La Roque Gageac...)
- Gardens (Limeuil, Marqueyssac, Manoir D'Eyrignac, Bambous de Planbuisson, Jumilhac-le-Grand ...)
- Vineyards of Bergerac (Monbazillac, Tiregand, La Jaubertie...)
- Classification of the nicest villages in France : La Roque Gageac, Beynac et Cazenac, Castelnaud la Chapelle, Domme, Belvès, Limeuil, Monpazier, St Amand-de-Coly, St Léon-sur-Vézère, St Jean-de-Côle